Montenegro has E1/E2 treaty signed with United States

E1 and E2 Visa treaty with USA


Montenegro has the oldest E1 and E2 treaty with United States, signed way bay back in 1882


Montenegro E-1 November 15, 1882
Montenegro E-2 November 15, 1882


An E-2 visas is one of the better alternatives to EB-5 for HNWIs, who do not want to immigrate to US, periodically visit US for business and tax planning.

According to USCIS, The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country (a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the United States when investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.


The E-1 and E-2 visas both allow nationals from “treaty countries” to live in the United States with their families while operating their approved business. Both visas initially authorize a stay of up to two years. However, they can both be renewed for additional two-year periods.


There is no limit on the number of times the visa can be renewed. Renewal generally depends on the continuing ability of the visa holder to operate the business successfully.



The main difference between E1/E2, one is treaty trader and other is treaty investor


  • E-1 –  Treaty trader, spouse or child – For businesses and individuals engaged in substantial international trade between the US and the treaty trader country. The volume of trade must be sufficient to provide employment for a number of people in the United States and must constitute the majority of the trader’s international trade.
  • E-2  – Treaty investor, spouse or child – For those who have made a significant investment in a US business in which the investor has at least a 50% ownership. The investment must be sufficient to provide employment for a number of people in the United States and must be in an active US business.

To qualify for E-2 classification, the treaty investor must:

  • Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation
  • Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States
  • Be seeking to enter the United States solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise. This is established by showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position or other corporate device.


Applying for E1/E2 visa as citizen of Montenegro, requires permanent residence status and registered home address in Montenegro. Read more how to apply at US embassy website