Montenegrin Citizen by Investment
The Citizen by investment program of Montenegro is officially announced of new economic citizenship scheme on Oct 1, 2018 for foreign investors. The decision came into force on Jan 1, 2019 and will apply until Dec 31, 2021
Montenegro economic citizenship program (ekonomsko državljanstvo), allows foreigners to be granted the citizenship of Montenegro at the discretion of the Ministry of Interior Affairs and Public Administration through a designated investment.
Montenegro announced new citizen by investment scheme for acquiring Montenegrin citizenship by admission on the basis of a special investment programme based on a special decision published in the Official Gazette of Montenegro 34/10, 40/16 and 62/18.
The scheme was announced on Oct 1, 2018 and will run for only for three years offering investment citizenship to 2000 foreign investors.
Montenegro citizenship scheme is now open for applications effective from Oct 3, 2019. Please contact us for details, we work with trusted and government authorized law firms.
- Rare one time limited opportunity for citizenship
- Instant Montenegro citizenship and passport within 3 months
- Montenegro is a future candidate for EU membership and joins Schengen area by 2025
- Cheapest property prices in Europe.
- Montenegro is so beautiful receives excess of 1 million visitor arrivals.
- Lifetime citizenship for family and generations.
- No physical residence requirements.
The model of special citizenship scheme will be a Grant (EUR 100,000) plus Investment (EUR 250,000) model. This means applicants must donate a grant to government and also invest in development projects (hotels, resorts, IT parks, commercial real estate) that create jobs and development of montenegro.
The Montenegro Special Citizenship by Investment Program (MSCIP) will require investments in economic activity (business) that will contribute to the economic development of Montenegro and/or investment in real estate and/or payment of funds into a special account of the Budget of Montenegro.
- No language tests, No business experience.
- No military service required.
- Free movement in EU countries and Schengen area
- Invest EUR 250,000 in some of the development projects previously approved by the Government in an undeveloped areas of Montenegro (North), or
- Invest EUR 450,000 in some of the development projects previously approved by the Government in the developed area of Montenegro (South).
Government fee: Additional Donation of EUR 100,000 in the form of Government fee is needed.
Application fee: The applicant must deposit 15,000 euros for an application for themselves, 10,000 euros for up to 4 family members, and 50,000 euros for each next family member,
Total investment requires a minimum investment of EUR 350,000 or more.
Additional costs for due diligence (per person), law firm filing fee and passport fee extra.
Please see List of hotels approved for the purpose of citizenship.
Montenegro encourages large investment development projects in Tourist or hotel developments
1. Five Star Hotels and Resorts
- €15 million tourism developments in the coastal region or the capital Podgorica, Employing at least 80 employees and have at least 60 accommodation units
- € 5 million in the northern or central region, except the capital Podgorica, at least 25 employees and 35 accommodation units
The list of development projects in the field of tourism will be approved by the Government, at the proposal of the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Tourism.
Investment primary agricultural production is at least € 2,000,000 and create atleast 10 jobs
3. Wood Processing
Investment of €4 million and employing atleast 20 people
Investment of atleast €3.5 million in fisheries and processing products and employing 20 people
Montenegro is joining as a 12th country offering CBI programs.
Montenegrin passport is ranked 42nd in the world with visa free access to 123 countries including EU schengen states, Russia, Turkey, Singapore etc. A visa is needed to travel to United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and United States
Montenegro is expected to join EU in 2025 and will be a part of schengen area after that.
Montenegro offers low tax policy for established businesses and individuals.
An applicant may acquire Montenegrin citizenship by admission on the basis of a special program if:
1) For the purpose of the costs of the procedure, he has made a payment to the payment account of the Competent Body in the amount of:
- EUR 15,000.00 for the applicant;
- EUR 10,000.00 for each family member, up to four members at maximum;
- EUR 50,000.00 for each next family member.
2) Has deposited on the ESCROW account an amount of EUR 100,000.00 intended for the development of less developed local self government units for the purpose referred to in Article 18 of the Law on Regional Development;
3) Has deposited on the ESCROW account an amount of at least EUR 450,000.00 for the purpose of investing in some of the development projects in the Capital of Podgorica or the coastal region of Montenegro or an amount of at least EUR 250,000.00 for the purpose of investing in some of the development projects in the northern or central region of Montenegro, save for the Capital of Podgorica;
4) Has not been sentenced in Montenegro or another state by a final and binding court decision to an unconditional prison sentence of more than one year for a criminal offense prosecuted ex officio or the legal consequences of the conviction for such criminal offence have ceased;
5) The international due diligence agent has given a positive opinion, including proof of the origin of the money intended for payment and investment in accordance with this Decision.
Montenegro Residency Program
- Startup visa for entrepreneurs
- Permanent residency against one time investment
- Very minimal residency requirements.
- EUR 100,000 investment in business, real estate or science projects
- Citizenship after 10 years of living in Montenegro
Montenegrin citizenship through naturalization
A petitioner may be admitted through the naturalization to the Montenegrin citizenship, in accordance to the interests of Montenegro if fulfils the following conditions:
1) has reached 18 years of age;;
2) has a release from foreign citizenship ;
3) has been legally and without interruption staying in Montenegro for the period of 10 years, prior to the petition for admission into Montenegrin citizenship;
4) has a guaranteed residence and guaranteed permanent source of income in Montenegro of an amount that enables material and social welfare;
5) has not been irrevocably sentenced in Montenegro or a foreign state to a prison term longer than one year and for a criminal offence prosecuted “ex officio” or legal consequences of such sentence are cessated;
6) posses active command of the Montenegrin language to the level which allows basic communication;
7) poses no threat to the security and defense of Montenegro
8) discharged his/her tax obligations
Montenegrin nationality by admittance shall be acquired by a person who, in accordance with the interests of Montenegro, fulfills requirements prescribed in Articles 8 and 9, who was granted a permanent residence in Montenegro pursuant to the regulations of the Law on Foreigners, and who is married to a Montenegrin national for at least 3 years and who is granted a permanent residence in Montenegro or a person whose admission to nationality would be of special interest for Montenegro.
Montenegro Dual Citizenship
Montenegro allows holding dual citizenship and does not requires relinquishing previous citizenships under the new economic citizenship scheme.
We work with authorized agents for Montenegro citizenship program. Applications open from Jan 2019.
We work with law firms and real estate developers in Montenegro specializing in economic citizenship program. Please contact us for private consultation.